Despite private sector protests, the Cabinet gave approval for the upper limit of compensation under the Termination of Employment of Workman Act has been increased from Rs. 1.25 million to Rs. 2.5 million. The Cabinet paper submitted by Labour Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva was approved during a Cabinet Meeting held last month. The change comes after several rounds of discussions between unions and private sector workers at the National Labour Advisory Council. This amount has been increased after more than 15 years. Commissioner General of Labour Prabath Chandrakeerthi said that this scheme is effective from the 19th of this month.
- State Minister Shehan Semasinghe says that legal actions will be taken against the persons who are responsible for the Easter Sunday attack
- The Director-General of Health Services Dr. Asela Gunawardena says a guideline for the Circular permitting burial of bodies of COVID-19